Registration for Fall Credit Advancement Courses will open on July 5th, 2023.
Full time students at Lenoir City High School who wish to earn additional credits virtually may be interested in Credit Advancement through the iLearn Institute. Credit Advancement courses carry both half and whole credits depending on the class. All Credit Advancement courses are approved by the Tennessee Department of Education, taught by certified instructors, and are aligned to Tennessee content standards.
Credit Advancement is only available if students meet the criteria established by the school board and are approved by the iLearn institute Administrator. Students must also have a minimum GPA of 2.8 to enroll in (CA) courses. These courses are provided through Florida Virtual School Curriculum or through Edgenuity.
Students choosing to participate in courses through iLearn need to examine their personal skills and aptitudes for taking a class online. The following attributes will greatly contribute to a student's success:
1. Self-motivation - Students must be able to direct their own learning environment, fulfill
course requirements, and achieve individual academic success.
2. Independent learner - The online environment enables students to learn at their own pace:
traditional, extended, or accelerated -- relieving the stress of feeling rushed or pressured
and providing enjoyment in the learning process.
3. Computer literate - Although it is not necessary to have advanced computer skills, students
should possess a working knowledge of email, the Internet, and basic keyboarding and
word processing skills.
4. Time management - Students must be able to organize and plan their own best "time to
learn." There is no one best time for everyone, but the key to learning is to commit the time
5. Effective written communication skills - Students must use email to communicate with their
peers as well as the instructors. The ability to write clearly in order to communicate ideas
and assignments is very important to student success as well as a means to inform
instructors of any concerns or problems.
6. Personal commitment - Since there are no bells that begin and end classes, students must
have a strong desire to learn and achieve knowledge and skills via online courses. Making a
commitment to learn in this manner is a very personal decision and requires a strong
commitment to participate in order to achieve academic success.
Keys To Success In Online Courses
Students who are able to demonstrate the following discipline may be more successful at online coursework:
● Schedule time each day to work on the course
● Read all information, view all resources, and be responsible for understanding the information
● Communicate regularly with the online teacher
● Work closely with iLearn personnel to plan appropriate course selection and to communicate needs
● Notify all teachers when planning to be out of town for any period exceeding 5 school days
Special Needs Students: Individual school special education liaisons and iLearn Institute online teachers, along with support from lab facilitators, are responsible for identifying students and providing accommodations for iLearn Institute courses as needed. Students with special education needs should contact the Director of Special Education, Josh Brannon, at 865-986-8058 to discuss current IEP placement and goals. These will help determine the proper placement for the student and identify the necessary accommodations needed to assist him/her in being successful in an online setting.
Students, if you are interested in taking a credit advancement course through the iLearn Institute please complete the following steps. Full credit courses are 158.00 and half credit courses are 83.00 dollars. All work is completed online and must be completed on time based upon the course schedule. All courses are for new credit. If you need credit recovery options please contact your high school counselor. If you wish to drop a course you must contact Dr. Chris Smallen during the first week of the course. After the first week we will not issue a refund for the course and the course can not be dropped.
Please watch the enrollment video here and follow the instructions to register for your Credit Advancement Course through the iLearn Institute at Lenoir City Schools. You can click here for a list of High School Courses and here for a list of Middle School Courses for High School Credit.